The Institute's collection of old master prints was recently enriched with the acquisition of an engraving entitled The Alchemist, designed in about 1558 by Dutch master Pieter Brueghel (1525/30-1569). The image was drawn by Breughel, and the engraving was executed by Philip Galle (1537-1612). It remains one of the master's rarest and most famous engravings.The print was purchased with a generous donation from Charles A. Cleveland and Janet and Winton Jones, and was given in memory of Thirza Jones Cleveland. Winton Jones is the grandson of Herschel V. Jones, a founding trustee of The Minneapolis Institute of Arts, who established the museum's original Print Department. In 1916, Jones donated 5,000 prints ranging in scope from old master engravings to a 1903 woodcut by Wassily Kandinsky. Carl Jones, Winton's father, was responsible for bringing the late Harold Joachim, the acknowledged dean of print curators, to the Institute during the late 1950s. Carl Jones also donated prints. Winton Jones is the third generation of his family to support the Institute's print collection.Thirza Jones Cleveland, who was Charles Cleveland's wife and Winton Jones's sister, was a longtime supporter of the museum and a donor to the Print Department. The gift of Brueghel's The Alchemist symbolizes three generations of the commitment of the Jones family to the Print Department. The Institute is grateful to Charles A. Cleveland and Janet and Winton Jones for their ongoing generosity.Richard Campbell is the John E. Andrus III Curator of Prints and Drawings at The Minneapolis Institute of Arts.Related ImagesPhilip Galle
After Pieter Brueghel
The Alchemist, about 1558
Gift of Charles A. Cleveland and Janet and Winton Jones in memory of Thirza Jones ClevelandCharles A. Cleveland (right) and Winton Jones (center) present Breughel's The Alchemist to Richard Campbell at The Minneapolis Institute of Arts.