Art Finder Text Detail  
Item Actions
Ratings (0)
Title

De la Bouëxière Ewer: Gallery Label - Current

Author

Minneapolis Institute of Arts

Date

2010-09-23

Institution Minneapolis Institute of Arts
This Ewer was originally commissioned on February 19, 1753, by Jean Gaillard de la Bouëxière, the patron of the Grand Salon which surrounds us. But according to the archives, when the ewer was finished in 1755, it was delivered to Madame de Pompadour, who must have been infatuated with this Ewer when she first saw it. With its elegant shape, its refined pictorial decoration of a flower bouquet and a butterfly, its energetic gold hatching and its intensive color fields of white and celestial blue, the De la Bouëxière Ewer epitomizes the artistic essence of the Vincennes porcelain factory at the height of its production, after it had surpassed Meissen as the most fashionable porcelain maker in Europe, and just before the founding of Sèvres.
Details
Comments (0)
Tags (0)
 
Type: Commentary, Gallery Label - Current
Source: Minneapolis Institute of Arts
Rights: Copyright Minneapolis Institute of Arts
Added to Site: October 2, 2010