Art Finder Text Detail  
Item Actions
Ratings (0)
Title

Side chair, one of four: Gallery Label - Current

Author

Minneapolis Institute of Arts

Date

2005-12-08

Institution Minneapolis Institute of Arts
In 1913 Purcell and Elmslie built a large summer residence for Edward W. Decker, a Minneapolis banker, on a wooded lot on Lake Minnetonka. The dining room furniture is unlike any other by Purcell and Elmslie. It is constructed of pine, a wood appropriate for a summer house, with chair seats upholstered in hard-wearing horsehair, once a deep blue. The chair backs have no decorative design, letting the form tell the story. The molding on the side-rail terminals and on the feet matched that of the built-in buffets. Purcell later noted that, "Mr. Decker spent all the money that was necessary to make our architectural thesis complete in all its detail...really an integral work in every department."[Insert photo of Decker Dining Room here - NWAA photo]
Details
Comments (0)
Tags (0)
 
Type: Commentary, Gallery Label - Current
Source: Minneapolis Institute of Arts
Rights: Copyright Minneapolis Institute of Arts
Added to Site: November 21, 2009